A County Court Judgment (CCJ) is a court order that can be issued against you if you fail to pay back money owed. The cost of obtaining and enforcing a CCJ will depend on the circumstances surrounding your case, as well as the type of debt involved. It typically costs between £50-£100 to obtain a CCJ from the court depending on how much you owe and whether or not any interest has been added to the amount due. This fee covers filing the paperwork for the claim with court fees, service charges, and other administrative costs. 
Once obtained, enforcement action may need to be taken in order to ensure that payment is made by those who have failed to meet their obligations. Depending upon which route is taken, the cost of enforcement will vary. If a third party such as a bank or building society holds money on behalf of someone who owes you money, then it may be possible to obtain a Third Party Debt Order (TPDO) which allows them to take funds from that account and transfer them directly into your own. This typically costs between £100-£200 plus VAT depending on how much is owed. Finally, if all else fails then a bailiff can be instructed to take control of goods in order to recover the debt. This is usually the most expensive route with costs ranging from £150-£500 depending on how much needs to be recovered and what type of enforcement action is required. There is a £71 court charge to get a writ of possession if you need to reclaim property or land or evict squatters. 
Your County Court Judgment (CCJ) must be referred to the High Court for enforcement to be carried out. For the transfer up to get the writ of control, there is a court charge. The transfer-up cost is subtracted from the amount to be recovered from your debtor, so if enforcement is successful, you will be reimbursed for it. There is no cost for this service; the Sheriff's Office will handle the transfer on your behalf. 
Overall, it can cost anywhere between £250-£1000+ (plus VAT) for obtaining and enforcing a CCJ, depending on which methods are used. You may pursue enforcement action if the CCJ is still unpaid after 14 days have passed since it was granted. You can either transfer the execution to the High Court for enforcement by a High Court Enforcement Officer (HCEO) under a writ of control, or you can seek for a warrant of execution by a County Court Bailiff if the amount is £600 or more. It’s important that you understand your rights and obligations when dealing with debt collection in order to ensure you don’t incur any unnecessary costs or penalties. If you are facing a CCJ or any other form of debt collection, it’s important to seek professional advice as soon as possible to ensure that your rights and interests are protected. 
If you need help our debt collection agency team can assist you anytime. 
Share this post:

Leave a comment: 

Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings